Deconstruction in a Nutshell : A Conversation with Jacques Derrida, With a New Introduction / Jacques Derrida; John D. Caputo.
- New York, NY : Fordham University Press, 
- Perspectives in Continental Philosophy
1 online resource (272 pages)
Philosophers -- France -- Interviews.
- Local subjects:
- Derrida. (search)
James Joyce. (search)
community without community. (search)
religion without religion. (search)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- This volume, consisting of a conversation with Derrida that is further elaborated by one of his leading interpreters, represents one of the most lucid, compact and reliable introductions to Derrida and deconstruction available in any language. A substantial new Introduction traces the development of deconstruction alongside other philosophical movements since Derrida's death.Responding to questions put to him at a roundtable held at Villanova University in 1994, Jacques Derrida leads the reader through an illuminating discussion of the central themes of deconstruction. Speaking in English and extemporaneously, Derrida takes up with unusual clarity and great eloquence such topics as the task of philosophy, the Greeks, justice, responsibility, the gift, community, and the messianic. Derrida refutes the charges of relativism that are often leveled at deconstruction by its critics and sets forth the profoundly affirmative and ethico-political thrust of his work.The roundtable is marked by an unusual clarity that continues into the second part of the book, in which one of Derrida's most influential readers, John D. Caputo, elaborates upon Derrida's comments and supplies material for further discussion. This edition also includes a substantial new Introduction by Caputo that discusses the original context of the book and traces the development of deconstruction since Derrida's death in 2004, from the rise of new materialisms to return to religion.Long one of the most lucid and reliable introductions to Derrida and deconstruction available in any language, and an ideal volume for students, Deconstruction in a Nutshell will also prove illuminating for those already familiar with Derrida's work.
Introduction (2020) Specters of Derrida
PART ONE The Villanova Roundtable A Conversation with Jacques Derrida
The Villanova Roundtable A Conversation with Jacques Derrida. EDITORIAL NOTE
PART TWO A Commentary: Deconstruction In a Nutshell
1. Deconstruction in a Nutshell: The Very Idea (!)
2. The Right to Philosophy
3. Khôra: Being Serious with Plato
4. Community Without Community
5. Justice, If Such a Thing Exists
6. The Messianic: Waiting for the Future
7. Re-Joyce, Say "Yes"
A Concluding Amen
Index of Names
Index of Subjects
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 25. Nov 2020)
- Caputo, John D., editor., Editor,
John D., Caputo, contribtor., Contributor,
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9780823290680 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|