Britain at bay : the epic story of the Second World War, 1938-1941 / Alan Allport.
- First American edition.
- New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2020.
xviii, 590 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1936-1945.
Great Britain -- Social conditions -- 20th century.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Great Britain.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Social aspects -- Great Britain.
Politics and government.
- "Here is the many-faceted, world-historically significant story of Britain at war. In looking closely at the military and political dimensions of the conflict's first crucial years, Alan Allport tackles questions such as: Could the war have been avoided? Could it have been lost? Were the strategic decisions the rights ones? How well did the British organize and fight? How well did the British live up to their own values? What difference did the war make in the end to the fate of the nation? In answering these and other essential questions he focuses on the human contingencies of the war, weighing directly at the roles of individuals and the outcomes determined by luck or chance. Moreover, he looks intimately at the changes in wartime British society and culture. Britain at Bay draws on a large cast of characters--from the leading statesmen and military commanders who made the decisions, to the ordinary men, women, and children who carried them out and lived through their consequences--in a comprehensible and compelling single history of forty-six million people. For better or worse, much of Britain today is ultimately the product of the experiences of 1938-1941"-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note: pt. One The British Way and Purpose
1. Shire Folk
2. Ulster Kristallnacht
3. A Different Kind of Nation
4. The School of Empire
pt. Two Umbrella Man
5. Guilty Man
6. The Bones of a British Grenadier
7. The Stupidest Thing That Has Ever Been Done
8. To Make Gentle the Life of the World
9. The Sharpening of the Claws
pt. Three Companions in Misfortune
10. The Other Dunkirk
11. Class War
12. Bras-Dessus, Bras-Dessous
13. In the Name of God
14. A Certain Eventuality
pt. Four And Only England Stands
15. Lunatic Relief
16. All Our Past Proclaims Our Future
18. The Scouring of the Shire Folk
pt. Five `A New and Most Bitter Phase of the War'
19. American Lebensraum
20. Shapeless, Measureless Peril
21. The Carotid Artery of Empire
22. Taking the Gloves Off
23. March on to Better Days.
- "This is a Borzoi book" -- title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references (-561) and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Allport, Alan, 1970- Britain at Bay
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|