Handbook of herbs and spices [electronic resource] . Volume 1 / edited by K.V. Peter.
- 2nd ed.
- Philadelphia, Pa. : Woodhead Pub., 2012.
- Woodhead Publishing in food science, technology, and nutrition ; no. 227.
Woodhead Publishing series in food science, technology and nutrition, 2042-8049 ; no. 227
Handbook of herbs and spices ; v. 1
1 online resource (634 p.)
Food industry and trade -- Quality control.
- Electronic books.
- Herbs and spices are among the most versatile ingredients in food processing, and alongside their sustained popularity as flavourants and colourants they are increasingly being used for their natural preservative and potential health-promoting properties. An authoritative new edition in two volumes, Handbook of herbs and spices provides a comprehensive guide to the properties, production and application of a wide variety of commercially-significant herbs and spices.Volume 1 begins with an introduction to herbs and spices, discussing their definition, trade and applications. Both the qu
- Cover; Handbook of herbs and spices; Copyright; Contents; Contributor contact details; Woodhead Publishing Series in Food Science, Technology and Nutrition; 1 Introduction to herbs and spices: definitions, trade and applications; 1.1 Definitions; 1.2 Trade in herbs and spices and trends in their use; 1.3 Herbs and spices in traditional medicine; 1.4 Herbs and spices in the food and beverage industries; 1.5 Herbs and spices in the cosmetics and perfumery industries; 1.6 Modern research into the medicinal and nutraceutical properties of herbs and spices
1.7 Production of quality herbs and spices1.8 The structure of this book; 1.9 Sources of further information; 1.10 References; Appendix 1; Appendix 2; 2 Quality specifications for herbs and spices; 2.1 Introduction: defining quality; 2.2 Major international quality specifications; 2.3 Product-specific quality parameters; 2.4 World spice organisations; 2.5 Quality management system (QMS); 2.6 Environmental safety: ISO 14001; 2.7 Sources of further information; 2.8 References; Appendix 1: Recommended analytical methods; 3 Quality indices for spice essential oils; 3.1 Introduction
3.2 Major chemical constituents of spice essential oils3.3 The problem of adulteration; 3.4 Future trends; 3.5 References; 4 Basil; 4.1 Introduction: the origin of basil; 4.2 Chemical composition of the basil plant; 4.3 Production of basil; 4.4 Post-harvest handling and production of basil; 4.5 Main uses of basil; 4.6 Functional properties of basil; 4.7 Quality issues and toxicity; 4.8 References; 5 Bay leaves; 5.1 Introduction; 5.2 Cultivation, production and processing of bay leaves; 5.3 Chemical composition of bay leaves; 5.4 Functional properties of bay leaves; 5.5 Quality issues
5.6 References6 Black pepper; 6.1 Introduction; 6.2 Production and international trade of black pepper; 6.3 The black pepper plant and its varieties; 6.4 Cultivation of black pepper; 6.5 Chemical composition of black pepper; 6.6 Quality issues; 6.7 Industrial processing and value addition; 6.8 Functional properties of black pepper; 6.9 Use of black pepper in food; 6.10 Conclusion; 6.11 Source of further information; 6.12 References; 7 Capsicum cultivars; 7.1 Introduction; 7.2 Production of capsicum cultivars; 7.3 Main uses in food processing; 7.4 Functional properties and toxicity
7.5 Quality issues7.6 References; 8 Cardamom; 8.1 Introduction; 8.2 Classification of cardamon; 8.3 Genetic improvement and varieties; 8.4 Production of cardamom: horticultural technologies and nursery management; 8.5 Production of cardamom: planting and aftercare; 8.6 Harvesting and post-harvest processing; 8.7 Other value-added products from cardamom; 8.8 Chemical structure and characteristics; 8.9 Major uses of cardamom; 8.10 Quality standards and grade specifications; 8.11 Conclusion; 8.12 References; 9 Chives; 9.1 Introduction; 9.2 Chemical composition and nutritional value
9.3 Cultivation and production
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Peter, K. V.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|