Kazakhstan : Surprises and Stereotypes After 20 Years of Independence / Jonathan Aitken.
- London, [England] ; New York, [New York] : Continuum, 2012.
1 online resource (x, 200 p. ) col. ill., col. map, col. ports.
- Nationalism -- Kazakhstan -- History.
Kazakhstan -- History -- 20th century.
Kazakhstan -- History -- 21st century.
- Electronic books.
- A guide to a country of huge economic and strategic importance, Jonathan Aitken describes the astonishing achievements of Kazakhstan since its independence.
Jonathan Aitken has written an insightful and illuminating portrait of 21st Century Kazakhstan as it approaches its 20th Anniversary of independence from the former Soviet Union. Surprises abound in Aitken's lively pages as he captures the creative tensions between Old and New Kazakhstan. Thanks to his unique access, the author has probed the darkest corners of the fading Soviet era, reporting from inside the prisons, the KGB and the Special Prosecutor's Office. He has also enjoyed the bright lights of the country's cultural renaissance, particularly in Almaty with its four orchestras, 19 theatres, 27 concert halls and Opera Houses. Aitken is at his best unravelling the economic and political surprises which are flowing from the Caspian oil boom with its knock on effects on foreign policy, GDP, and political reform. 'Kazakhstan is the newest powerhouse of Asia. From its President to its painters, poets, economists and entrepreneurs, this is a nation confidently on the move.' says Aitken 'we need to understand the new national identity of this increasingly successful player on the world stage.'
- 1. Introduction - Towards a New National Identity \ 2. New Kazakhstan v Old Kazakhstan \ 3. Reforming the Law \ 4. Understanding the President of Surprises \ 5. Nuclear Past Nuclear Future \ 6. A Tale of Two Cities \ 7. Riding High after the Recession - Prospects for the Economy \ 8. The Dragon The Bear and the Unstable Neighbourhood \ 9. Kazakhstan's Diplomacy and the OSCE \ 10. The Education Revolution 11. Epilogue - Beyond the 20th Anniversary of Independence \ Index
- Electronic reproduction. Askews and Holts. Mode of access: World Wide Web.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|