The Oxford handbook of the Merovingian world / edited by Bonnie Effros and Isabel Moreira.
- Other Title:
- Merovingian world
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2020.
- Oxford handbooks online
Oxford handbooks online
1 online resource (1056 pages) : maps.
- Merovingians -- History.
Merovingians -- Antiquities.
Gaul -- History.
Gaul -- Antiquities.
France -- History -- To 987.
- The Merovingian era is one of the best studied yet least known periods of European history. From the fifth to the eighth centuries, the inhabitants of Gaul (what now comprises France, southern Belgium, Luxembourg, Rhineland Germany and part of modern Switzerland), a mix of Gallo-Romans and Germanic arrivals under the political control of the Merovingian dynasty, sought to preserve, use, and reimagine the political, cultural, and religious power of ancient Rome while simultaneously forging the beginnings of what would become medieval European culture and identity. As a result, the Merovingian era is at the heart of historical debates about what happened to western Europe after the fall of the Roman Empire. In this collection of 46 essays by scholars we encounter the new perspectives and scientific approaches that shape our changing view of this extraordinary era.
- Merovingians and Italy (Ostrogoths and early Lombards) / Jonathan J. Arnold
The Merovingians and Byzantium: Diplomatic, Military and Religious Issues, 500-700 / Stefan Esders
Material Evidence for Frankish Traders, Settlers, and Circular Migrators in Early Medieval Britain / Robin Fleming
Gender in Merovingian Gaul / Guy Halsall
Transformations of Identities: Barbarians and Romans in the Merovingian Realm / Magali Coumert
Letters and Communication Networks in Merovingian Gaul / Andrew Gillett
Corporate Solidarity and its Limits within the Gallo-Frankish Episcopate / Gregory Halfond
Merovingian Epigraphy and Epigraphy in the Merovingian World / Mark A. Handley
The Merovingian Polity: A Network of Courts and Courtiers / Yitzhak Hen
Merovingians and the Avars and Slavs / Matthias Hardt
From Gaul to Francia: The Impact of the Merovingians / Paul Fouracre
Liturgy and the Laity / Lisa Kaaren Bailey
Public Health, Hospitals, and Charity / Peregrine Horden
Magic and Divination in the Merovingian World / William E. Klingshirn
Amulets and Identity in the Merovingian World / Genevra Kornbluth
Elite Women in the Merovingian World / Edward James
Alors commenca la France: Merovingian Expansion South of the Loire, 495-510 CE / Ralph W. Mathisen
Maritime and River-Traders, Landing-Places and Emporia Ports in the Merovingian Period / Dries Tys
Children's Lives and Deaths in Merovingian Gaul / Émilie Perez
The Role of the City in Merovingian Francia / S. T. Loseby
Merovingian Hagiography / Jamie Kreiner
Visions and the Afterlife / Isabel Moreira
Rural Life and Work in Northern Gaul during the Early Middle Ages / Edith Peytremann
De gente Scottorum monachi: the Irish in Merovingian Settlement Strategy / Jean-Michel Picard
Merovingian Legal Cultures / Alice Rio
Good and Bad Plants in Merovingian Francia / Paolo Squatriti
The History of Historiography in the Merovingian Period / Helmut Reimitz
The Evidence of Numismatics: "Merovingian" Coinage and the Place of Frankish Gaul and its Cities in an "Invisible" Roman Empire / Jürgen Strothmann
Long Distance Trade and the Rural Population of Northern Gaul / Frans Theuws
Imagining Jesus in the Merovingian World / Lynda L. Coon
Livestock and the Early Medieval Diet in Northern Gaul / Jean-Hervé Yvinec, Maude Barme
The Life of Penance / Kevin Uhalde
Writing the History of Merovingian Gaul: An Historiographical Survey / Agnès Graceffa
Migrants and Minorities in Merovingian Gaul / Wolfram Drews
Merovingian Gaul and the Mediterranean: Ceramics and Trade / Michel Bonifay, Dominique Pieri
Merovingian Religious Architecture: Some New Reflections / Pascale Chevalier
Two Centuries of Excavating Merovingian-Era Cemeteries / Bonnie Effros
Bead and Garnet Trade between the Merovingian, Mediterranean, and Indian Worlds / Constantin Pion, Bernard Gratuze, Patrick Périn, Thomas Calligaro
Inscribed in the Book of Life: Liturgical Commemoration in Merovingian Gaul / Els Rose
Beyond Romans and Barbarians: Reassessing Mortuary Archaeology in Southwestern Gaul / Ralph J. Patrello
The Military and its Role in Merovingian Society / Laury Sarti
Pushing the Boundaries of the Merovingian World / Bonnie Effros, Isabel Moreira
Human Remains and What They Can Tell Us About Status and Identity in the Merovingian Period / Andrea Czermak
The Fate of Small Towns, Hilltop Settlements, and Elite Residences in Merovingian-Period Gaul / Luc Bourgeois
The Monastic Experiment / Albrecht Diem
Survival of the villa in Merovingian Gaul / Alexandra Chavarría Arnau.
- Also issued in print: 2020.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from home page (viewed on October 1, 2020).
- Effros, Bonnie, 1965- editor.
Moreira, Isabel, editor.
- Other format:
- Print version :
- 9780190234201 (ebook) :
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|