Saving endangered heirs and estates : studies in European literature / Hugo G. Walter.
- New York, NY : Peter Lang Publishing, Inc., 
- Studies on themes and motifs in literature ; v. 136.
Studies on themes and motifs in literature ; vol. 136
x, 200 pages ; 24 cm.
- Detective and mystery stories -- History and criticism.
Landowners in literature.
Aristocracy (Social class) in literature.
Country homes in literature.
European literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
European literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism.
Detective and mystery stories.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- "This book is a collection of insightful essays which discuss heroic endeavors to save endangered heirs and estates by searching devotedly for the truth in various criminal and civil situations. This book focuses especially on important works by Arthur Conan Doyle, Theodor Storm, Frances Hodgson Burnett, and Agatha Christie, while also discussing works by other important European authors. In each of these literary masterpieces the landowner or heir is emotionally and physically endangered and his or her house and estate imperiled by one or more individuals from within his or her own family or from within the sphere of influence of the family. In these works by Arthur Conan Doyle, Theodor Storm, Frances Hodgson Burnett, and Agatha Christie there is a valiant attempt by such individuals as Sherlock Holmes, Mary Lennox, the narrator of Aquis submersus, Hercule Poirot, and others to save the landowners and heirs who are endangered and the estates which are threatened by thoroughly investigating their situations and by searching meticulously for the truth. These protagonists share and exemplify the "passion for getting at the truth" (220) which Hercule Poirot in Agatha Christie's Murder in Three Acts declares is the primary motivating force and inspiration for his criminal investigations"-- Provided by publisher.
- Arthur Conan Doyle
Frances Hodgson Burnett
- "The Studies on themes and motifs in literature series is part of the Peter Lang humanities list."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Walter, Hugo G., 1959- Saving endangered heirs and estates
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|