Exile, diplomacy and texts : exchanges between Iberia and the British Isles, 1500-1767 / Ana Sáez-Hidalgo, Berta Cano-Echevarría.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2021.
- Intersections : interdisciplinary studies in early modern culture, 1568-1181 ; volume 74
- Intercultural communication.
Transmission of texts.
Great Britain -- Relations -- Spain.
Spain -- Relations -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Relations -- Portugal.
Portugal -- Relations -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Intellectual life.
Spain -- Intellectual life.
Portugal -- Intellectual life.
- "In Exile, Diplomacy and Texts, Ana Sáez-Hidalgo and Berta Cano-Echevarría offer an interdisciplinary narrative of religious, political, and diplomatic exchanges between early modern Iberia and the British Isles during a period uniquely marked by inconstant alliances and corresponding antagonisms. Such conditions notwithstanding, the essays in this volume challenge conventionally monolithic views of confrontation, providing through fresh examination of exchanges of news, movements and interactions of people, transactions of books and texts, new evidence of trans-national and trans-cultural conversations between British and Irish communities in the Iberian Peninsula, and of Spanish and Portuguese 'others' travelling to Britain and Ireland"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction / Ana Sáez-Hidalgo and Berta Cano-Echevarría
Where were the English? Antoon van den Wijngaerde, the evidence of visual culture, and the 1557 Siege of Saint-Quentin / Glyn Redworth
Networks of exchange in Anglo-Portuguese sixteenth-century diplomacy and Thomas Wilson's mission to Portugal / Susana Oliveira
Irish captives in the British and Spanish Mediterranean 1580-1760 / Thomas O'Connor
The construction and deconstruction of English Catholicism in Spain : fake news or white legend? / Berta Cano-Echevarría
Memoirs for 'a sunlit doorstep' : selfhood and cultural difference in Tomé Pinheiro da Veiga's Fastigínia / Rui Carvalho Homem
The fall of Granada in Hall's and Holinshed's Chronicles : genesis, propaganda, and reception / Tamara Pérez-Fernández
Use and reuse of English books in Anglo-Spanish collections : the crux of orthodoxy / Ana Sáez-Hidalgo
Tools for the English mission : English books at St Alban's College Library, Valladolid / Marta Revilla-Rivas
Diplomacy narratives as documents of performance / Mark Hutchings.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Sáez Hidalgo, Ana, editor.
Cano Echevarría, Berta, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Exile, diplomacy and texts
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|