Against the Wall : Poor, Young, Black, and Male.
- Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, 2009.
- The City in the Twenty-First Century Ser.
The City in the Twenty-First Century Ser.
1 online resource (314 pages)
- African American men -- Psychology.
African American men -- Social conditions.
Inner cities -- United States.
Urban poor -- United States.
- Electronic books.
- Edited and with an introductory chapter by sociologist Elijah Anderson, the essays in Against the Wall describe how young black men have come to be identified publicly with crime and violence.
Table of Contents
Foreword: Strong Men Keep A-Comin On
Part I. Facing the Situation of Young Black Men in Inner Cities
Chapter 1. Against the Wall: Poor, Young, Black, and Male
Chapter 2. David's Story: From Promise to Despair
Chapter 3. Young, Black, and Male: The Life History of an American Drug Dealer Facing Death Row
Part II. Structural Analyses of Joblessness Among Black Youth
Chapter 4. The Economic Plight of Inner-City Black Males
Chapter 5. Blacklisted: Hiring Discrimination in an Era of Mass Incarceration
Chapter 6. The Effects of Immigration on the Economic Position of Young Black Males
Chapter 7. Immigration and Equal Opportunity
Part III. Engaging Urban Youth in Social Institutions
Chapter 8. Youth Entrepreneurship Training in the Inner City: Overcoming Disadvantage, Engaging Youth in School
Chapter 9. Black Male Students and Reflections on Learning and Teaching
Chapter 10. Fighting like a Ballplayer: Basketball as a Strategy Against Social Disorganization
Chapter 11. "Tell us how it feels to be a problem": Hip Hop Longings and Poor Young Black Men
Part IV. Social Policy Matters
Chapter 12. Social Issues Lurking in the Over-Representation of Young African American Men in the Expanding DNA Databases
Chapter 13. "You can take me outta the 'hood, but you can't take the 'hood outta me": Youth Incarceration and Reentry
Chapter 14. Suicide Patterns Among Black Males
Chapter 15. Why Are Handguns So Accessible on Urban Streets?
Chapter 16. What Do We Do Now? Toward a Brighter Future for Young African American Men
List of Contributors
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- West, Cornel.
- Other format:
- Print version: Anderson, Elijah Against the Wall
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|