Isizwe esinembali = Xhosa histories and poetry (1873-1888) / William Wellington Gqoba ; edited and translated by Jeff Opland, Wandile Kuse and Pamela Maseko.
- Other Title:
- Xhosa histories and poetry (1873-1888)
- Pietermaritzburg, South Africa : University of KwaZulu-Natal Press, 2015.
- Publications of the Opland Collection of Xhosa literature ; v. 1.
Publications of the Opland collection of Xhosa literature ; volume 1
1 online resource (566 pages)
- Intellectuals -- Africa, Southern -- Biography.
Xhosa literature -- Translations into English.
Xhosa (African people) -- History.
Xhosa (African people) -- Social life and customs.
- Electronic books.
- Parallel text in English and Xhosa.
- This book assembles and translates into English all of William Wellington Gqoba's clearly identifiable writings. They offer an insider's perspective on an African nation in transition, adapting uncomfortably to Western mores and morality, seeking to affirm its identity by drawing on its past, standing on the brink of mobilisation to resist white control and to construct its social, political and religious independence of European colonialism-- Back cover.
Description based on print version record.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, MI : ProQuest, 2016. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest affiliated libraries.
- Opland, Jeff, 1943- editor, translator.
Kuse, Wandile F., editor, translator.
Maseko, Pamella, editor, translator.
- Other format:
- Print version: Gqoba, William Wellington. Isizwe esinembali = Xhosa histories and poetry (1873-1888).
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|