Adolescent Risk Behaviors : Why Teens Experiment and Strategies to Keep Them Safe.
- Other records:
- New Haven : Yale University Press, 2006.
- Current Perspectives in Psychology Ser.
Current Perspectives in Psychology Ser.
1 online resource (293 pages)
- Risk-taking (Psychology) in adolescence -- Prevention.
- Electronic books.
- This book focuses on the crucial role that relationships play in the lives of teenagers. The authors particularly examine the ways that healthy relationships can help teens avoid such common risk behaviors as substance abuse, dating violence, sexual assault, and unsafe sexual practices. Addressing the current lack of effective prevention programs for teens, they present new strategies for encouraging healthy choices. The book first traces differences between the "rules of relating" for boys and girls and discusses typical and atypical patterns of experimentation in teens. The authors identify the common link among risk behaviors: the relationship connection. In the second part of the book, they examine the principles of successful programs used by schools and communities to cultivate healthy adolescent development. An illuminating conclusion describes the key ingredients for engaging adolescents, their parents, teachers, and communities in the effort to promote healthy, nonviolent relationships among teens.
1 Valuing Adolescence
2 Learning the Rules of Relating
3 The Dark Side of the Rules
4 Choices and Pressures of Today's Youth
5 Making Sense of Making Choices
6 What Works in Prevention: Promises and Pitfalls
7 The Blueprint: Best Principles for Program Design
8 The Delivery: Best Practices for Strengthening Parternships and Managing Risks
9 The Context: Overcoming Barriers and Engaging Schools
10 The Evolution of Universal Efforts to Reduce Adolescent Risk Behaviors
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Jaffe, Peter G.
Crooks, Claire V.
- Other format:
- Print version: Wolfe, David A. Adolescent Risk Behaviors
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|