Then and Now : The Personal Past in the Poetry of Robert Penn Warren.
- Lexington : University Press of Kentucky, 2014.
1 online resource (199 pages)
- Warren, Robert Penn, -- 1905-1989 -- Poetic works.
Warren family -- In literature.
Biography in literature.
Self in literature.
Kentucky -- Intellectual life -- 20th century.
Southern States -- In literature.
Kentucky -- In literature.
- Electronic books.
- Taking a new approach to the study of Robert Penn Warren's imposing and still growing poetic canon, Floyd C. Watkins has found in the poems what he describes as a "poetic autobiography" unparalleled in American letters. Drawing on interviews with Warren, members of his family, and contemporaries from his hometown, but keeping the poetry itself constantly at the center of his vision, Watkins shows how the poetry has grown from the experience of the boy and man and from his contemplation of his family's and his country's history. He traces through the poems a family chronicle, moving from the frontier to the late twentieth century, and set in a landscape that is clearly derived from the Kentucky of Warren's boyhood. The little town of Guthrie, divided by railroad tracks, with its two burial grounds for whites and blacks, becomes in the poems a town of both memory and imagination, peopled by characters many of whom are recognizable to Warren's contemporaries. The images of a black man fleeing through swampy woods outside the town, of a grayfaced man who led a lynch mob, of a mad druggist making a list of people to poison, all have counterparts in Guthrie's history. Then and Now is a revealing and provocative study of the poetic process in a poet who is thought of as the originator of the biographical fallacy.
A Note on Sources &
1. Creation &
2. The Penns, the Warrens, &
The Boy &
3. Guthrie &
Some Blacks-Two Early Poems &
Years without Poems &
the New Beginnings
4. Now &
Then-Father, Mother, Friend, Self
The Late 1800s
Childhood-The Early 1900s
The 1920s &
The 1940s &
The 1970s-The Friend
The 1970s &
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Other format:
- Print version: Watkins, Floyd C. Then and Now
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|