Surveying Ethnic Minorities and Immigrant Populations : Methodological Challenges and Research Strategies.
- Other records:
- Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, 2013.
- IMISCOE Research Ser.
IMISCOE Research Ser.
1 online resource (296 pages)
- Group identity.
Minorities -- Social aspects.
- Electronic books.
- What challenges do researchers face when surveying immigrant populations and ethnic minorities? What are the best ways to ensure that general population surveys adequately represent minority groups? The first book to systematically address these questions, this volume analyzes more than a dozen surveys conducted in eight Western countries on topics ranging from politics to health. These case studies-which include local and national surveys with various levels of funding-offer valuable lessons about dealing with a range of methodological challenges.
Surveying Ethnic Minorities and Immigrant Populations Methodological Challenges and Research Strategies
Table of Contents
1 Introduction: The methodological challenges of surveying populations of immigrant origin
PART I SAMPLING ISSUES
2 Designing high-quality surveys of ethnic minority groups in the United Kingdom
3 The 2007 Spanish National Immigrant Survey(ENI1): Sampling from the Padro´n
4 Enhancing representativeness in highly dynamic settings: Lessons from the NEPIA survey
PART II FIELDWORK AND RESPONSE RATES
5 The influence of interviewers' ethnic background in a survey among Surinamese in the Netherlands
6 Surveying migrants and migrant associations in Stockholm
7 Comparing the response rates of autochthonous and migrant populations in nominal sampling surveys: The LOCALMULTIDEM study in Madrid
8 Non-response among immigrants in Denmark
PART III INCLUDING IMMIGRANTS IN GENERAL POPULATION SOCIAL SURVEYS
9 Immigration and general population surveys in Spain: The CIS surveys
10 An evaluation of Spanish questions on the 2006 and 2008 US General Social Surveys
11 Under-representation of foreign minorities in cross-sectional and longitudinal surveys in Switzerland
12 Surveying immigrant populations: Methodological strategies, good practices and open questions
List of contributors.
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Méndez, Mónica.
- Other format:
- Print version: Font, Joan Surveying Ethnic Minorities and Immigrant Populations
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|