The Rebbe : The Life and Afterlife of Menachem Mendel Schneerson.
- Other records:
- Princeton : Princeton University Press, 2010.
1 online resource (382 pages)
- Schneerson, Menachem Mendel, -- 1902-1994.
Rabbis -- New York (State) -- New York -- Biography.
Hasidim -- New York (State) -- New York -- Biography.
- Electronic books.
- From the 1950s until his death in 1994, Menachem Mendel Schneerson--revered by his followers worldwide simply as the Rebbe--built the Lubavitcher movement from a relatively small sect within Hasidic Judaism into the powerful force in Jewish life that it is today. Swept away by his expectation that the Messiah was coming, he came to believe that he could deny death and change history. Samuel Heilman and Menachem Friedman paint an unforgettable portrait of Schneerson, showing how he reinvented himself from an aspiring French-trained electrical engineer into a charismatic leader who believed that he and his Lubavitcher Hasidic emissaries could transform the world. They reveal how his messianic convictions ripened and how he attempted to bring the ancient idea of a day of redemption onto the modern world's agenda. Heilman and Friedman also trace what happened after the Rebbe's death, by which time many of his followers had come to think of him as the Messiah himself. The Rebbe tracks Schneerson's remarkable life from his birth in Russia, to his student days in Berlin and Paris, to his rise to global renown in New York, where he developed and preached his powerful spiritual message from the group's gothic mansion in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. This compelling book demonstrates how Schneerson's embrace of traditionalism and American-style modernity made him uniquely suited to his messianic mission. Some images inside the book are unavailable due to digital copyright restrictions.
List of Illustrations
The Rebbes of ChaBad
1 Farbrengen: The Gathering of the Emissaries
2 Death and Resurrection
3 Coming of Age in a Time of Transition
4 Entering the Court of Lubavitch
5 From Survival to Uforatzto
6 On a Mission from the Rebbe in Life
7 From Resurrection to Death: We Want Moshiach Now
8 On a Mission from the Rebbe in His Afterlife
Glossary of Hasidic and Lubavitcher Terms
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Friedman, Menachem.
- Other format:
- Print version: Heilman, Samuel The Rebbe
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|