The Evolution Controversy in America.
- 1st ed.
- Lexington : University Press of Kentucky, 1994.
1 online resource (313 pages)
- Evolution (Biology) -- Religious aspects -- Christianity -- History.
Religion and science -- United States -- History.
Creationism -- United States -- History.
Evolution (Biology) -- History.
- Electronic books.
- For well over a century, the United States has witnessed a prolonged debate over organic evolution and teaching of the theory in the nation's public schools. The controversy that began with the publication of Darwin's Origin of the Species had by the 1920s expanded to include theologians, politicians, and educators. The Scopes trial of 1925 provided the growing antievolution movement with significant publicity and led to a decline in the teaching of evolution in public schools. George E. Webb details how efforts to improve science education in the wake of Sputnik resurrected antievolution sentiment and led to the emergence of "creation science" as the most recent expression of that sentiment. Creationists continue to demand "balanced treatment" of theories of creation and evolution in public schools, even though their efforts have been declared unconstitutional in a series of federal court cases. Their battles have been much more successful at the grassroots level, garnering support from local politicians and educators. Webb attributes the success of creationists primarily to the lack of scientific literacy among the American public. Although a number of published studies have dealt with specific aspects of the debate, The Evolution Controversy in America represents the first complete historical survey of the topic. In it Webb provides an analysis of one of the most intriguing debates in the history of American thought.
2. Toward the New Century
3. Gathering at the River
4. The Scopes Trial and Beyond
5. Decline and Revival
6. The Passing of the Old Order
7. New Directions
8. A Remedy to a Bad Act
9. The Creationist Challenge
10. Somewhere in Heaven, John Scopes Is Smiling
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Other format:
- Print version: Webb, George The Evolution Controversy in America
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|