The Great Movies IV / Roger Ebert.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 
1 online resource (280 pages)
- Motion pictures -- Reviews.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- No film critic has ever been as influential-or as beloved- as Roger Ebert. Over more than four decades, he built a reputation writing reviews for the Chicago Sun-Times and, later, arguing onscreen with rival Chicago Tribune critic Gene Siskel and later Richard Roeper about the movies they loved and loathed. But Ebert went well beyond a mere "thumbs up" or "thumbs down." Readers could always sense the man behind the words, a man with interests beyond film and a lifetime's distilled wisdom about the larger world. Although the world lost one of its most important critics far too early, Ebert lives on in the minds of moviegoers today, who continually find themselves debating what he might have thought about a current movie. The Great Movies IV is the fourth-and final-collection of Roger Ebert's essays, comprising sixty-two reviews of films ranging from the silent era to the recent past. From films like The Cabinet of Caligari and Viridiana that have been considered canonical for decades to movies only recently recognized as masterpieces to Superman, The Big Lebowski, and Pink Floyd: The Wall, the pieces gathered here demonstrate the critical acumen seen in Ebert's daily reviews and the more reflective and wide-ranging considerations that the longer format allowed him to offer. Ebert's essays are joined here by an insightful foreword by film critic Matt Zoller Seitz, the current editor-in-chief of the official Roger Ebert website, and a touching introduction by Chaz Ebert. A fitting capstone to a truly remarkable career, The Great Movies IV will introduce newcomers to some of the most exceptional movies ever made, while revealing new insights to connoisseurs as well.
Selections from the Introductions to the Previous Volumes
A. I. Artificial Intelligence
An Autumn Afternoon
The Ballad of Narayama
The Big Lebowski
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Come and See
Day for Night
Diary of a Country Priest
Diary of a Lost Girl
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Grey Zone
The Hairdresser's Husband
Heart of Glass
In a Lonely Place
Ivan the Terrible, Parts I and II
Leon Morin, Priest
Lost in Translation
Make Way for Tomorrow
A Man Escaped
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Man with a Movie Camera
The Match Factory Girl
Mon oncle d'Amerique
Nosferatu the Vampyre
The Only Son
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Shadow of a Doubt
Smiles of a Summer Night
Souls for Sale
The Spirit of the Beehive
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter . . . and Spring
Essays Appearing in The Great Movies (2002)
Essays Appearing in The Great Movies II (2005)
Essays Appearing in The Great Movies III (2010)
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 06. Jan 2021)
- Chaz, Ebert, contributor., Contributor,
Matt, Zoller Seitz, contributor., Contributor,
Seitz, Matt Zoller
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7208/9780226404035 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|