Domestic violence and sexuality : what's love got to do with it? / Catherine Donovan and Marianne Hester.
- Bristol, [England] ; Chicago, Illinois : Policy Press, 2014.
1 online resource (250 p.)
- Same-sex partner abuse.
- Electronic books.
- The first detailed discussion of domestic violence and abuse in same sex relationships, challenging the heteronormative model in domestic violence research, policy and practice.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND SEXUALITY; Contents; List of figures and tables; Acknowledgements; 1. What is the problem?; This book; Background; The policy context and definition of DVA; Public stories: physical violence and victims; Understanding domestic violence and abuse; DVA in same sex relationships: previous research; Our research; Summary; 2. How we did the research: the COHSAR research approach; The COHSAR survey; The COHSAR interviews; Postscript; Summary; 3. Setting the context: sexuality matters; The changing legal and social landscape for those in same sex relationships
Assimilation or separationConsequences of living under the heterosexual assumption: 'minority stress'; First same sex relationships: impacts of the heterosexual assumption on experiences of DVA; Summary; 4. Identifying and experiencing domestic violence and abuse; Introduction; Identifying and recognising DVA; Nature of DVA: Experiences of survey respondents; Impact of emotional, physical and sexual behaviours; Severity of potential DVA behaviours and impact; Perpetration of potentially abusive behaviour against partners; Summary; 5. What's love got to do with it?; Love matters
Relationship practices of love: establishing relationship rulesRelationship rule one: the relationship is for the abusive partner and on their terms; Relationship rule two: the survivor is responsible for looking after the abusive partner and the relationship; Summary; 6. Barriers to help-seeking: the gap of trust; Help-seeking models and help-seeking; Recognising the problem; The decision to seek help; Sources of help; Summary; 7. Key findings and implications for practice; Domestic violence and abuse in same sex relationships: similarities, differences and the role of gender
Re-imagining the Duluth Power and Control Wheel: The COHSAR WheelChallenging the public story of DVA to improve recognition of DVA and help-seeking; A final word; References; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed May 16, 2014).
- Hester, Marianne, author.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|