American epic. Episode 2, Blood and soil / directed by Bernard MacMahon ; written by Bernard MacMahon, Allison McGourty & Duke Erikson ; produced by Allison McGourty, Bernard MacMahon, Duke Erikson ; a production of BBC Arena, Lo-Max Films Ltd., Wildwood Enterprises, and Thirteen Productions LLC for WNET.
- Other Title:
- Blood and soil
First time America heard itself
Academic Video Online.
- Arlington, VA : Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), 2017.
1 online resource (58 minutes)
- Popular culture -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
Popular music -- United States -- History and criticism.
Sound recording industry -- United States -- History.
Musicians -- United States -- Biography.
Folk music -- United States -- History and criticism.
Old-time music -- History and criticism.
Bluegrass music -- History and criticism.
Country music -- History and criticism.
- Documentary television programs.
- In English.
- System Details:
- video file
- BLOOD & SOIL: America's poor-cotton field slaves, mine workers, sharecroppers -- find freedom through music, creating gospel, protest songs, and Delta Blues.
- Narrator, Robert Redford ; commentary, Taj Mahal, Jack White, Charlie Musselwhite.
Featured performers in the sessions: Alabama Shakes, The Americans, Ana Gabriel, Ashley Monroe, The Avett Brothers, Beck, Bettye LaVette, Bobby Ingano, Elton John, Frank Fairfield, Jerron "Blind Boy" Paxton, Los Lobos, Lost Bayou Ramblers, Nas, Pokey LaFarge, Raphael Saadiq, Rhiannon Giddens, Steve Martin and Edie Brickell, Taj Mahal, Jack White, Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard.
Featured historical performers: The Carter Family, Memphis Jug Band, Elder Burch, The Williamson Bros. & Curry, Dick Justice, Charley Patton, Hopi Indian Chanters, Joseph Kekuku, Lydia Mendoza, the Breaux Family, Mississippi John Hurt, and Blind Willie Johnson.
- Story by Bernard MacMahon & Allison McGourty & Duke Erikson ; telescript by William Morgan ; produced by Allison McGourty, Bernard MacMahon, Duke Erikson ; producer, Bill Holderman ; producer, Adam Block ; editing, Dan Gitlin ; original music, Duke Erikson and Bernard MacMahon ; cinematography, Vern Moen ; executive producers, T Bone Burnett, Robert Redford, Jack White.
- Title from resource description page (viewed June 08, 2020).
Originally broadcast on television in 2017.
- MacMahon, Bernard, 1970- director, producer.
McGourty, Allison, producer, screenwriter.
Erikson, Duke, 1951- producer.
Redford, Robert, narrator.
Morgan, William (Television writer) screenwriter.
British Broadcasting Corporation, production company.
Lo-Max Films Ltd., production company.
Wildwood Enterprises, production company.
Thirteen Productions, production company.
Public Broadcasting Service (U.S.), publisher.
Alexander Street Press.
- Publisher Number:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|