Leather Fashion Design.
- 1st ed.
- London : Laurence King Publishing, 2010.
- Portfolio Skills
1 online resource (193 pages)
- Leather garments.
- Electronic books.
- Leather Fashion Design is a practical, how-to book about making garments from leather, suede, and similar materials. It covers everything from what to look for in choosing a skin to work with, through patternmaking, sewing techniques, and finishing. The book starts with a showcase of leather apparel spanning time, but concentrating on the twentieth century. Interim chapters include examples of leather apparel at its finest as well as clear step-by-step illustrations of how to make various types of garment. The final chapter includes working with "leather-like" materials including ultrasuede and faux patent leather. Beautifully illustrated throughout, and including a comprehensive resources section listing relevant organizations, publications, and other information, this book will be invaluable for both students and professionals.
Chapter 1: Leather
Leather and the fashion industry today
Leather through the ages
The twentieth century
The twenty-first century
Chapter 2: The tanning process
What tanning does
The major leather manufacturing steps
Storing skins for later use
Sorting and selecting skins
Preparations for dyeing
Dyeing the skins
Grading the skins
Chapter 3: The design process
Organizing and planning your collection
Designing and merchandising your collection
The remaining steps in the design process
Chapter 4: Planning
Planning your design
Chapter 5: Creating a design/spec sheet
Using a design/spec sheet
Chapter 6: Sorting, shading, and cutting
Sorting and shading
Chapter 7: Putting your leather garment together
Chapter 8: Linings and reinforcements
Interlinings and fillers
Chapter 9: Seam finishes
Chapter 10: Sewing a shirt
Chapter 11: Sewing a pair of pants
Chapter 12: Sewing a jacket
Chapter 13: Leather defects
The importance of independent testing
How to identify and solve key quality control problems
Chapter 14: Faux leather
Faux suede, faux grain, and faux patent leather
Tips for proper leather garment care
Credits and acknowledgments.
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Other format:
- Print version: Sterlacci Purvin, Francesca Leather Fashion Design
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|