Glossary of Typesetting Terms.
- Other records:
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1995.
- Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing
Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing
1 online resource (184 pages)
- Typesetting -- Dictionaries.
- Electronic books.
- Glossary of Typesetting Terms is an up-to-date reference book on the craft of typography. It organizes a dictionary and a style guide into a single, one-stop resource. Prepared by a team of leading professionals-a designer, an editor, compositors, and production managers-this glossary will be valuable to anyone who works in publishing or printing for its definitions of typographical terms and concise treatment of typographical style. The glossary adds important details to discussions of typography that are covered more generally in editorial style guides such as The Chicago Manual of Style. It is indispensable to anyone who prepares text for a living, including those who implement their own typesetting decisions with the aid of word-processing and page-layout software. This manual furnishes a common technical vocabulary for specialists and nonspecialists alike. More than 900 entries provide up-to-date meanings for traditional terms like kerning,bleed, and thumbnail and definitions of new phrases like global search and replace,H & J (hyphenation and justification), and idiot file that have been developed to describe the role of computer technology in typesetting. Eight appendixes offer additional guidance. The house style sheets of a major typesetter provide a sample checklist of items that affect the way in which words are composed into professional-quality type. Other appendixes cover families of type, the parts of a book, diagrams of the parts of a letter, coding and marking a manuscript in the precise language of typesetters, writing specifications for tables, proofreaders' marks, and special characters. No other reference book makes the vocabulary and practices of contemporary typesetting so accessible.
Glossary of Typesetting Terms
1. The Parts of a Letter
2. The Parts of a Book
3. Type Styles
4. Coding a Manuscript and Writing Specifications
5. Elements of House Style
7. Accents, Diacritics, and Special Characters
8. Proofreaders' Marks
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Angstadt, Richard.
Ellertson, Charles M.
Pascal, Naomi B.
Scott, Anita Walker.
- Other format:
- Print version: Eckersley, Richard Glossary of Typesetting Terms
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|