Miracles of Our Lady.
- Lexington : University Press of Kentucky, 1997.
- Studies in Romance Languages Ser.
Studies in Romance Languages Ser.
1 online resource (176 pages)
- Mary, -- Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Poetry.
Religious poetry, Spanish -- Translations into English.
- Electronic books.
- Miracle tales, in which people are rewarded for piety or punished for sin through the intervention of the Virgin Mary, were a popular literary form all through the Middle Ages. Milagros de Nuestra Sehora, a collection of such stories by the Spanish secular priest Gonzalo de Berceo, is a premier example of this genre; it is also regarded as one of the four most important texts of medieval Spain. Difficulties in translating this work have made it unavailable in English except in fragments; now Spanish-language scholars Richard Terry Mount and Annette Grant Cash have made the entire work accessible to English readers for the first time. Berceo's miracle tales use the verse form cuaderna via (fourfold way) of fully rhymed quatrains -- which Berceo may even have invented -- and are told in the language of the common man. They were written to be read aloud, most likely to an audience of pilgrims, and are an outstanding example of oral religious narrative. The total work comprises twenty-five miracles, preceded by a renowned Introduction that celebrates the Virgin in rich symbolic allegory. Mount and Cash's translation is highly readable, yet it retains the original meaning and captures Berceo's colloquial style and medieval nuances. An introduction placing the miracles in their medieval context and a bibliography complement the text.
Berceo and the Scholar's Art
Berceo and His Works
Miracles of Our Lady
The Virgin Mary in Typological Exegesis
The Miracles within the Context of Pilgrimage
1. The Chasuble of Saint Ildephonsus
2. The Fornicating Sexton
3. The Cleric and the Flower
4. The Virgin's Reward
5. The Charitable Pauper
6. The Devout Thief
7. Saint Peter and the Proud Monk
8. The Pilgrim Deceived by the Devil
9. The Simple Cleric
10. The Two Brothers
11. The Greedy Farmer
12. The Prior and Uberto the Sexton
13. Jerónimo, the New Bishop of Pavia
14. The Image Miraculously Spared bythe Flames
15. The Wedding and the Virgin
16. The Little Jewish Boy
17. Saint Mary's Church Profaned
19. The Pregnant Woman Saved by the Virgin
20. The Drunk Monk
21. The Pregnant Abbess
22. The Shipwrecked Pilgrim Saved bythe Virgin
23. The Merchant of Byzantium
24 (25). The Robbed Church
25 (24). The Miracle of Theophilus
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Mount, Richard T.
Cash, Annette G.
Mount, Richard Terry.
Cash, Annette Grant.
Berceo, Gonzalo De.
- Other format:
- Print version: Berceo, Gonzalo de Miracles of Our Lady
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|