Conceptualizing Music : Cognitive Structure, Theory, and Analysis.
- Other records:
- Cary : Oxford University Press, Incorporated, 2002.
- AMS Studies in Music Ser.
AMS Studies in Music Ser.
1 online resource (377 pages)
- Musical perception.
- Electronic books.
- This book shows how recent work in cognitive science, especially that developed by cognitive linguists and cognitive psychologists, can be used to explain how we understand music. The book focuses on three cognitive processes--categorization, cross-domain mapping, and the use of conceptualmodels--and explores the part these play in theories of musical organization.The first part of the book provides a detailed overview of the relevant work in cognitive science, framed around specific musical examples. The second part brings this perspective to bear on a number of issues with which music scholarship has often been occupied, including the emergence of musicalsyntax and its relationship to musical semiosis, the problem of musical ontology, the relationship between words and music in songs, and conceptions of musical form and musical hierarchy.The book will be of interest to music theorists, musicologists, and ethnomusicologists, as well as those with a professional or avocational interest in the application of work in cognitive science to humanistic principles.
Introduction: Conceptualizing Music
PART I. ASPECTS OF COGNITIVE STRUCTURE
2. Cross-Domain Mapping
3. Conceptual Models and Theories
PART II. ANALYSIS AND THEORY
4. Categorization, Compositional Strategy, and Musical Syntax
5. Cultural Knowledge and Musical Ontology
6.Words, Music, and Song: The Nineteenth-Century Lied
7. Competing Models of Music: Theories of Musical Form and Hierarchy
Conclusion: Cognitive Structure, Theory, and Analysis
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Zbikowski, Lawrence M.
- Other format:
- Print version: Zbikowski, Lawrence M. Conceptualizing Music
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|