J. Robert Oppenheimer : A Life.
- Other records:
- Cary : Oxford University Press, Incorporated, 2007.
1 online resource (396 pages)
- Oppenheimer, J. Robert, -- 1904-1967.
Atomic bomb -- United States -- History.
Physicists -- United States -- Biography.
- Electronic books.
- Pais introduces us to a precocious youth who sped through Harvard in three years, made signal contributions to quantum mechanics while in his twenties, and was instrumental in the growth of American physics in the decade before the Second World War. He paints a revealing portrait of Oppenheimer's life in Los Alamos, where in twenty remarkable, feverish months, and under his inspired guidance, the first atomic bomb was designed and built, a success that made Oppenheimer America's most famous scientist. Pais describes Oppenheimer's long tenure as Director of the Institute of Advanced Study at Princeton, where the two men worked together closely. He shows not only Oppenheimer's brilliance and leadership, but also how his displays of intensity and arrogance won him powerful enemies.
CHAPTER 1 First Encounters
CHAPTER 2 Background: Early Years
CHAPTER 3 University Studies
CHAPTER 4 Postdoctoral Studies
CHAPTER 5 The California Professor as Teacher
CHAPTER 6 The California Professor as Researcher
More on QED
Astrophysics and Cosmology
CHAPTER 7 Oppenheimer's Opinion of His Own Teaching and Research in California
CHEPTER 8 Personal Life in the 1930s
CHAPTER 9 "The Shatterer of Worlds
CHAPTER 10 In Which Oppenheimer Enters the World Stage
CHAPTER 11 An Atomic Scientist's Credo
CHAPTER 12 The Institute Prior to Oppenheimer's Arrival
The Flexner Years
The Aydelotte Years
CHAPTER 13 In Which Oppenheimer Is Elected Director of the Institute and Chairman of the General Advisory Committee
CHAPTER 14 Oppenheimer's Early Years as Institute Director
CHAPTER 15 Oppenheimer and the World of Physics: 1946-1954
The Great Charismatic Figure
Building Up Physics at the Institute
F. J. Dyson
T. D. Lee
Of Some Who Came and Some Who Went
David Joseph Bohm
John von Neumann
Oppenheimer as Leader of Conferences
Shelter Island, June 1947
Pocono, March/April 1948
Solvay, September/October 1948
Old Stone, April 1949
Rochester I, December 1950
Rochester II (January) and III (December) 1952
IBM, April 1953
A Book Review, October 1953
Japan, September 1953
Rochester IV, January 1954
CHAPTER 16 Further on Oppenheimer the Man
Los Alamos Vignettes
Young Wives' Tales
More Personal Recollections
CHAPTER 17 Atomic Politics in the Early Postwar Years
October 3, 1945
August 1, 1946
The Acheson-Lilienthal Plan
The Baruch Plan
1946 as the Highest Point of Oppenheimer's Political Contributions
Oppenheimer's Public Expressions on Atomic Policy: 1947-1948
CHAPTER 18 Of the First Serious Enemies and of the First Russian A-Bomb
In Which the First Clouds Appear
The First Soviet A-Bomb
CHAPTER 19 Of the Superbomb and of Spy Stories
Shall the United States Develop the Super?
Emil Klaus Julius Fuchs et al.
CHAPTER 20 The New Super
The Teller-Ulam Invention
Oppenheimer's Views on the Super
Oppenheimer's Participation in Panels: 1950-1953
The Long Range Objectives Panel
1952: Oppenheimer Leaves the General Advisory Committee
CHAPTER 21 Atomic Politics in the Early 1950s
The Doctrine of Massive Retaliation
The Opening Salvos of the Attackers
June 5, 1953
June 20, 1953
July 3, 1953
July 7, 1953
August 20, 1953
November 12, 1953
CHAPTER 22 In Which the Excrement Hits the Ventilator
The Oppenheimer-Strauss Meeting, December 1953
Eisenhower Erects a "Blank Wall
Preparations for the Hearings
Oppenheimer and McCarthy
CHAPTER 23 In Which the News of the Hearings Is Made Public
How Einstein and I First Heard
First Newspaper Comments
CHAPTER 24 "Open Book": The Hearing in the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer
The Hearing: April 12-May 6, 1954
Findings, Appeal, Decision: May 17-June 29.
CHAPTER 25 No Final Judgment
The Sense of Tragedy
CHAPTER 26 Insider in Exile
Speaker and Author
Rehabilitation and Retirement
CHAPTER 27 Cloaked Mountain Peak
Principal Sources Used
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Crease, Robert P.
- Other format:
- Print version: Pais, Abraham J. Robert Oppenheimer
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|