Contemporary Tourist Experience : Concepts and Consequences.
- Other records:
- 1st ed.
- London : Taylor & Francis Group, 2012.
- Advances in Tourism Ser.
Advances in Tourism Ser.
1 online resource (326 pages)
- Tourism -- Research.
- Electronic books.
- This significant and timely volume aims to provide a focused analysis into tourist experiences that reflect their ever-increasing diversity and complexity, and their significance and meaning to tourists themselves. Written by leading international scholars, it offers new insight into emergent behaviours, motivations and sought meanings on the part of tourists based on five contemporary themes determined by current research activity in tourism experience:conceptualization of tourist experience; dark tourism experiences; the relationship between motivation and the contemporary tourist experience; the manner in which tourist experience can be influenced and enhanced by place; and how managers and suppliers can make a significant contribution to the tourist experience. The book critically explores these experiences from multidisciplinary perspectives and includes case studies from wide range of geographical regions. By analyzing these contemporary tourist experiences, the book will provide further understanding of the consumption of tourism.
Table of Contents
List of contributors
Introduction: Experiencing tourism, experiencing happiness?
PART I Conceptualising tourist experiences
1 Personal experience tourism: A postmodern understanding
2 The habit of tourism: Experiences and their ontological meaning
3 Experiences of valuistic journeys: Motivation and behaviour
PART II Understanding dark tourism experiences
4 Reconceptualising dark tourism
5 Dark tourism as 'mortality capital': The case of Ground Zero and the Significant Other Dead
6 Towards an understanding of 'genocide tourism': An analysis of visitors' accounts of their experience of recent genocide sites
PART III Motivation and the contemporary tourist experience
7 Being away or being there? British tourists' motivations holidaying in Alanya, Turkey
8 Identity in tourist motivation and the dynamics of meaning
9 Bitten by the Twilight Saga: From pop culture consumer to pop culture tourist
PART IV Place and the tourist experience
10 Volunteer tourists' experiences and sense of place: New Orleans
11 Family place experience and the making of places in holiday home destinations: A Danish case study
12 Museums as playful venues in the leisure society
PART V Managing tourist experiences
13 'We've seen it in the movies, let's see if it's true': Motivation, authenticity and displacement in the film- induced tourism experience
14 Tourism harassment experiences in Jamaica
15 The UK 'grey' market's holiday experience
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Stone, Philip.
- Other format:
- Print version: Sharpley, Richard Contemporary Tourist Experience
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|