Hidden New York : A Guide to Places That Matter.
- Other records:
- Piscataway : Rutgers University Press, 2006.
1 online resource (392 pages)
- New York (N.Y.) -- Guidebooks.
- Electronic books.
- Despite its innumerable tourist attractions, New York City still has many secrets, hidden in the most unlikely places. There is the Edison Hotel in Times Square, where magicians gather 'round the Magic Table to socialize and compete. There is Hua Mei Garden in the Lower East Side, where elderly Chinese men meet to display exotic birds. And there is Sahadi's in Brooklyn, where the culinary arts thrive, and New Yorkers go for just the right ingredients for a Middle Eastern meal. This book details thirty-two unusual locations such as these and enhances them by including a cluster of additional, related spots. Hidden New York shows you why these places matter and guides you through the historical and cultural significance of each one..
Hua Mei Bird Garden
Russian and Turkish Tenth Street Baths
Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden
The Magic Table at the Edison Hotel
The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen
Stickball Boulevard and the Stadiums of the Street
Thomas Jefferson Park Pool
Empire Roller Skating Center
The Lemon Ice King of Corona
Coney Island Bialys and Bagels
Sahadi's Specialty and Middle Eastern Foods
Arthur Avenue Market
Union Square Greenmarket
Art and Music, City Style
The Village Vanguard
Casa Amadeo Record Shop
Richmond Barthé's Frieze at Kingsborough Houses
Quirky Features of the Landscape
Art in the Subways
Community Greening: La Casita Rincón Criollo, Magnolia Tree Earth Center, Liz Christy Bowery-Houston Community Garden
The Flower District
Fishing around New York
Kehila Kedosha Janina Synagogue and Museum
Ganesha Hindu Temple
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Grotto
The Memorials of the Battery
About the Authors
About the Contributors
Planning an Outing
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Zeitlin, Steven J.
- Other format:
- Print version: Reaven, Marci Hidden New York
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|