Adventure Time and Philosophy : The Handbook for Heroes.
- Chicago, IL : Open Court, 2015.
- Popular Culture and Philosophy
Popular Culture and Philosophy ; v.87
1 online resource (319 pages)
- Adventure time (Television program).
Conduct of life.
- Electronic books.
- Adventure Time and Philosophy is a monster-beating, wild ride of philosophical mayhem. The authors have come together to understand and explore one of the deepest and most thoughtful television shows ever to assault human brain waves. Where Adventure Time shows us what the world could be like, this book screws open our cranial lids, mucks about in the mess that is our heads, and attempts to come to some answers about the nature of reality. Adventure Time challenges everything we know about life, meaning, heroism, and even burritos. And it's time to give the show some serious thought. Adventure Time and Philosophy is a chance to put down your broadsword, put your exhausted monster-slaying feet up, and try to figure out why you spend your time rescuing people in distress and fighting for justice. What is justice anyway? If you don't happen to have your pocket edition of the Enchiridion on hand, and Billy the Hero *wicked guitar solo* hasn't been returning your calls, pick up Adventure Time and Philosophy and learn what it means to be a real hero! The authors of the chapters will prove that Adventure Time is much more than a cartoon, it's a way of life. . . . It's also the future!-a post-apocalyptic future 10,000 years after the Great Mushroom War, actually. Who better to have as companions than Finn and Jake when taking on Plato, Nietzsche, and Baudrillard or encountering the Slime Princess, the Ice King, and Marceline the Vampire Queen. In a review of the show in Entertainment Weekly, Darren Franich characterized Adventure Time as a hybrid sci-fi/fantasy/horror/musical/fairy tale, with echoes of Calvin and Hobbes, Hayao Miyazaki, Final Fantasy, Richard Linklater, Where the Wild Things Are, and the music video you made with your high school garage band." This book is filled with chapters written by a colorful cast of characters who enlighten us
about the profound and life-affirming spiritual subtext and dark comedic elements of an awesomely fantastic show.
A Few Short Graybles
I. Nasty, Brutish, and Sweet
1. The Finn-losophy of Adventure Time by John V. Karavitis
2. Poetical! The Art-Science Wars in Ooo by Daniel Leonard
3. Power and Parenthood in the Land of Ooo by David Caballeros
4. Who Governs Ooo? by Ben Gale and Adam Barkman
5. Should Simon Have Saved Marceline? by Matthew Montoya
6. Games Vampires Play by Trip McCrossin
II. Glob Said the Word and It Was "Cabbage!
7. Sude. Stop. Saying. All This. Crazy. Nonsense. by Nicolas Michaud
8. Ice King Blues by Greg Littmann
9. The Owl and the One-Armed Boy by Liam Miller
10. Did Prismo Create the Best Possible World? by Matthew Montoya
11. Oh God, Where the Glob Art Thou? by Poom Namvol
III. Life Is But a Croak Dream
12. The Paradox of Horror and the Ocean of Fear by Michael J. Muniz
13. Play Time? Interpretation Time! by Marty Jones
14. If a Tree Fort Falls in a Forest. . . by Robert Arp
15. What's Time Anyhoo? by Mary Green and Ronald S. Green
16. Ooo, Who's Dreaming? by Christopher Ketcham
IV. What Are You?
17. When I Don't Remember You by Nicolas Michaud
18. When My Gameboy Became Self-Aware by David Degginger
19. Imagined Worlds and Real Lessons by Daniel Vella
20. A Buff Baby Who Can Puncha Yo' Buns by M. Blankier
21. Become Unplugged by Christopher Ketcham
V. For Righteous Eyes Only
22. Finn's No Hero! by Scott Forest Aikin
23. How to Be a Hero by Greg Littmann
24. Our Real-Life Enchiridions by Michael J. Muniz
25. I Want to Be Your Hero, Maybe! by Rakel Blondal Svinsdottir
26. Our Heroes! by Trip McCrossin
Our Adventurous Authors
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Other format:
- Print version: Michaud, Nicolas Adventure Time and Philosophy
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|