Focus on Single-Parent Families : Past, Present, and Future.
- Other records:
- Santa Barbara : ABC-CLIO, LLC, 2010.
1 online resource (310 pages)
- Single-parent families -- United States.
- Electronic books.
- Focus on Single-Parent Families: Past, Present, and Future brings together in one volume a range of cutting-edge research articles and essays on what has become the most dynamic change in family structure in U.S. history. It is the only resource to make the most insightful and important work being done on the single-parent family phenomena accessible to general readers. Focus on Single-Parent Families helps readers go beyond the stereotypes and look closely at the complexity of families with one parent and consider their place in society. It encompasses the wide variety of households with a single parent-a family structure that promises to continue to grow and diversify. Throughout, the book gauges the impact of the increasing number of single-parent families on the nation as a whole, particularly in regard to policies concerning family welfare, children's services and health care, schools, and other essential social institutions.
Part One: Historical Trends in Family Life and Structure
1. What's Happening to the Family: Demographic and Institutional Changes
Part Two: Social Diversity and Single-Parent Families
2. Poverty, Welfare, and Livelihood Strategies of Nonmetropolitan Single Mothers
3. The Single-Father Family: Demographic, Economic, and Public Transfer Use Characteristics
4. Children Raised in Fatherless Families from Infancy: A Follow-Up of Children of Lesbian and Single Heterosexual Mothers at Early Adolescence
5. Family Structure and Children's Success: A Comparison of Widowed and Divorced Single-Mother Families
6. Influences on Delinquency: The Role of the Single-Parent Family
7. Parental Incarceration: Implications of Child Welfare
8. Grandmothers Raising Grandchildren
Part Three: Single-Parent Families: The Lived Experience
9. Expenditures on Children and Financial Difficulties
10. The Psychological Well-Being of Single Parents
11. Single Parenthood and the Law
12. The Impact of Parents' Marital Status on the Time Adolescents Spend in Productive Activities
13. The Effects of Neighborhood and Mother-Teen Relationships on Adolescent Sexual Activity
14. Religious Involvement as a Source of Support?
Part Four: Social Problems and Policy
15. Rethinking the "Pathology of Matriarchy": Family Structure, Educational Attainment, and Socioeconomic Success
16. Child Care Policy Reform and Employment of Single Mothers
17. Explaining Trends in Child Support: Economic, Demographic, and Policy Effects
18. Effective Child Support Policy for Low-Income Single Parents
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Sharp, Paul M.
- Other format:
- Print version: Yarber, Annice D. Focus on Single-Parent Families
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|