Hungarian Jews in the age of genocide : an intellectual history, 1929-1948 / by Ferenc Lacz�o.
- Leiden : Boston : Brill, 
- Central and Eastern Europe (Leiden, Netherlands) ; v. 8.
Central and Eastern Europe : regional perspectives in global context, 1877-8550 ; volume 8
1 online resource (251 pages)
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Hungary.
Antisemitism -- Hungary -- History -- 20th century.
Jews -- Persecutions -- Hungary -- History -- 20th century.
- Electronic books.
- "Hungarian Jews, the last major Jewish community in the Nazi sphere of influence by 1944, constituted the single largest group of victims of Auschwitz-Birkenau. In Hungarian Jews in the Age of Genocide, Ferenc Lacz�o draws on hundreds of scholarly articles, historical monographs, witness accounts as well as published memoirs to offer a pioneering exploration of how this prolific Jewish community responded to its exceptional drama and unprecedented tragedy. Analyzing identity options, political discourses, historical narratives and cultural agendas during the local age of persecution as well as the varied interpretations of persecution and annihilation in their immediate aftermath, the monograph places the devastating story of Hungarian Jews at the dark heart of the European Jewish experience in the 20th century"-- Provided by publisher.
- 1. Introduction
2. Jewish studies in the Horthy Era
3. Intellectual agendas in the shadow of catastrophe
4. The audible voices of the persecuted
5. Articulating the unprecedented
6. Narrating survival
7. Documenting responsibility
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, MI : ProQuest, 2016. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest affiliated libraries.
- Other format:
- Print version: Lacz�o, Ferenc. Hungarian Jews in the age of genocide : an intellectual history, 1929-1948.
- 9789004324640 (hardback : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|