An impartial and genuine list of the ladys on the Whig or Jacobite partie : Edinburgh 1745-6 / transcribed and edited by Anita R. Gillespie.
- Other Title:
- Ladys on the Whig or Jacobite partie, 1745-6
- Edinburgh : Scottish Record Society, 2020.
- Scottish Record Society (Series) ; new ser., v.46.
Scottish Record Society ; new series, volume 46
lxxxi, 97 pages : illustrations, facsimiles ; 22 cm.
- Women -- Scotland -- Edinburgh -- 18th century -- Registers.
Jacobites -- Women -- Scotland -- Edinburgh.
Whig Party (Great Britain) -- Women -- Scotland -- Edinburgh.
Edinburgh (Scotland) -- Women -- 18th century -- Registers.
Whig Party (Great Britain).
Scotland -- Edinburgh.
- Registers (Lists)
- "...the Impartial and Genunine List, a series of names of mostly young and unmarried ladies compiled by two Whig gentleman in Edinburgh in 1745-6 as a counter to the perceived imbalance of Jacobite propaganda of that time. It casts an unusual and personal light on the inhabitants of Edinburgh, particularly the women, and illuminates their society in a way not seen in many contemporary accounts."--Back inside jacket cover.
"The MS List divides the women into two categories, Whig and Jacobite, arranged roughly alphabetically under the surname of the head of the household in which they were dwelling at the time. As the title says, it appears to have been written for the purpose of demonstrating, against a popular perception, that not all ladies in Edinburgh were ardent Jacobites. ...The Whig ladies represent the majority on the MS List with 310 ladies. The Jacobite ladies number 202, about 40 percent of the total. There are daughters, sisters, wives and aunts of the upper and merchant classes, and of many among the civic, legal and medical professions."--Page xxv and xxxiv.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages ix-xxiv) and index.
- Gillespie, Anita R.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|