Philosophy for Young Children : A Practical Guide.
- Other records:
- 1st ed.
- Florence : Taylor & Francis Group, 2011.
1 online resource (129 pages)
- Philosophy -- Study and teaching (Primary).
- Electronic books.
- With this book, any teacher can start teaching philosophy to children today! Co-written by a professor of philosophy and a practising primary school teacher, Philosophy for Young Children is a concise, practical guide for teachers. It contains detailed session plans for 36 philosophical enquiries - enough for a year's work - that have all been successfully tried, tested and enjoyed with young children from the age of three upwards. The enquiries explore a range of stimulating philosophical questions about fairness, the environment, friendship, inclusion, sharing, right and wrong, manners, beauty, pictures, the emotions, dreaming and reality. All the stories, drawings and photographs that you'll need to carry out the enquiries are provided and can be used with your children directly from the book. Each step-by step enquiry includes: The philosophical topic and the aim of the enquiry The stimuli you'll need Questions to ask the children Possible answers to help move the discussion forward Ideas to help you summarise and extend the enquiry. If you are an Early Years or primary school teacher, this complete resource will enable you to introduce philosophy to your children quickly and with confidence.
Philosophy for Young Children A Practical Guide
Chapter 1 Political philosophy: fairness and rules
The Teddy Bears' Picnic
Gavin Builds a Sandpit
The Animal Snack
Chapter 2 Environmental philosophy: green land, waste and recycling
Emerald the Elephant
Benny the Bin
Chapter 3 Social philosophy: friends and relationships
William and Arthur
Emma and Sally
Maisie the Sheep
Big Teddy's New School
Chapter 4 Ethics: virtues and vices
Sam's Kind Day
The Magic Words
The Selfish Hippo
Charlotte the Lazy Caterpillar
Pancake the Greedy Rabbit
Chapter 5 Aesthetics: beauty, pictures and stories
A Walk on the Beach
The Cave Monster
Chapter 6 Philosophy of mind: emotions, beliefs and persons
Patch and his Friends
Rabbit and Mouse
Isaac the Robot
Chapter 7 Epistemology: dreams and illusions
Milly's Bad Dream
Dreaming of School
A Stick in the Water
Chapter 8 Metaphysics: what is real?
Angus the Cat
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Gaut, Morag.
- Other format:
- Print version: Gaut, Berys Philosophy for Young Children
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|