Building with Straw Bales : A Practical Guide for the UK the Ireland.
- Revised and Updated
- Cambridge : UIT Cambridge Ltd., 2009.
1 online resource (194 pages)
- Arms control.
Illegal arms transfers -- Prevention.
Arms transfers -- International cooperation.
- Electronic books.
- Straw bale building is a radically different approach to construction and this book explains, in straightforward and commonsense terms, the principles of straw bale building in the UK climate. Pioneered in the United States over a hundred years ago and established in the UK in the 1990s, the technique is now entering the mainstream. It is used by firms who see its value in terms of cost-effectiveness, ease of installation, and energy efficiency. Straw has great load-bearing qualities and provides superior insulation at an affordable price. Straw bale building is accessible to many people who are normally excluded from the construction process, and provides immense opportunity for creative fun, enabling them to design and build the sort of shape and space they would really like. The book covers design principles; different types of foundations; how to raise walls, stabilize them, and protect them from the weather; and how straw bale buildings can easily meet building regulation requirements. This book is for self-builders as well as for people working the construction industry and has been fully revised and expanded to include new sections on natural plasters, a detailed analysis of how straw performs with humidity, and an extensive resources section.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Chapter 1: WHY BUILD WITH STRAW BALES?
Chapter 2: AFFORDABLE HOUSES WITH LOW ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT
Chapter 3: STRAWBALE BUILDING TECHNIQUES EXPLAINED
Chapter 4: BALES TO BUILD WITH
Chapter 5: BALE PLANS
Chapter 6: SAFETY AND TOOLS
Chapter 7: CEMENT-FREE FOUNDATIONS
Chapter 8: ROOF AND FITTINGS
Chapter 9: WALL RAISING
Chapter 10: WINDOWS AND DOORS
Chapter 11: PLASTERS AND RENDERS - LIME
Chapter 12: PLASTERS AND RENDERS - CLAY
Chapter 13: PLANNING PERMISSION
Chapter 14: BUILDING REGULATIONS
Appendix 1: HUMIDITY IN STRAWBALE WALLS
Appendix 2: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Appendix 3: RESOURCES AND RESEARCH
Appendix 4: CONSTRUCTION DRAWINGS
- Description based on publisher supplied metadata and other sources.
- Local notes:
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Michigan : ProQuest Ebook Central, 2021. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ProQuest Ebook Central affiliated libraries.
- Other format:
- Print version: Jones, Barbara Building with Straw Bales
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|