The Oxford handbook of wisdom and the Bible / edited by Will Kynes.
- Other Title:
- Handbook of wisdom and the Bible
Wisdom and the Bible
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2021.
- Oxford handbooks online
Oxford handbooks online
1 online resource (640 pages)
- Wisdom literature -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
Wisdom -- Religious aspects.
Wisdom -- Biblical teaching.
- This volume both reflects on the contested nature of the Wisdom Literature category and takes advantage of the opportunities it presents for reconsidering the concept of wisdom more independently from it. The first half explores wisdom as a concept, with essays on its relationship to skill, epistemology, virtue, theology, and order in the Hebrew Bible, its meaning in related cultures, from Egypt and Mesopotamia to Patristic and Rabbinic interpretation, and, finally, its continuing relevance in the modern world, including in Islamic, Jewish, and Christian thought, and from feminist, environmental, and other contextual perspectives. The latter half considers "Wisdom Literature" as a category. Scholars address its relation to the Solomonic Collection, its social setting, literary genres, chronological development, and theology.
- Wisdom and Wisdom Literature: Past, Present, and Future / Will Kynes
Wisdom in Dialogue with Greek Civilization / Michael C. Legaspi
Wisdom in the New Testament / Mariam Kamell Kovalishyn
Wisdom in Patristic Interpretation: Scriptural and Cosmic Unity in Athanasius' Exegesis of Proverbs 8:22 / Susannah Ticciati
Wisdom in Rabbinic Interpretation / Amram Tropper
Wisdom in the Qur'an and the Islamic Tradition / U. Isra Yazicioglu
Wisdom in Jewish Theology / Jonathan Schofer
Wisdom in Christian Theology / Paul S. Fiddes
Personified Wisdom and Feminist Theologies / Christine Roy Yoder
Wisdom in Nature / Norman Habel
The Pervasiveness of Wisdom in (Con)texts / John Ahn
Advice: Wisdom, Skill, and Success / Jacqueline Vayntrub
Solomon and the Solomonic Collection / Katharine J. Dell
The Social Setting of Wisdom Literature / Mark Sneed
Literary Genres of Old Testament Wisdom / Markus Witte
The Chronological Development of Wisdom Literature / Markus Saur
Theology of Wisdom / Tremper Longman III
Wisdom Influence / John L. McLaughlin
Law and Wisdom Literature / Jonathan P. Burnside
History and Wisdom Literature / Suzanna R. Millar
Prophecy and Wisdom Literature / Mark J. Boda
Apocalyptic and Wisdom Literature / Bennie H. Reynolds III
Epistemology: Wisdom, Knowledge, and Revelation / Annette Schellenberg
Proverbs / Samuel E. Balentine
Ecclesiastes / Tova L. Forti
Job / Scott C. Jones
Song of Songs / Anselm C. Hagedorn
Wisdom Psalms / W.H. Bellinger Jr.
Ben Sira / Benjamin G. Wright
The Wisdom of Solomon / James K. Aitken, Ekaterina Matusova
“Wisdom Literature” and Its Application to the Dead Sea Scrolls / Matthew Goff
Virtue and Its Limits in the Wisdom Corpus: Character Formation, Disruption, and Transformation / William P. Brown
Theology: Creation, Wisdom, and Covenant / Raymond C. Van Leeuwen
Order: Wisdom, Retribution, and Skepticism / Ludger Schwienhorst-Schönberger
Wisdom in Egypt / Joachim Friedrich Quack
Mesopotamian Wisdom Literature / Yoram Cohen, Nathan Wasserman
Wisdom in the Dead Sea Scrolls and Early Jewish Interpretation / Arjen Bakker.
- Also issued in print: 2021.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from home page (viewed on January 7, 2021).
- Kynes, Will, 1981- editor.
- Other format:
- Print version :
- 9780190661298 (ebook) :
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|