Research handbook on natural law theory / edited by Jonathan Crowe, Constance Youngwon Lee.
- Northampton : Edward Elgar Publishing, 2019.
- Research handbooks in private and commercial law.
Research handbooks in legal theory series
1 online resource (ix, 448 pages).
- Natural law.
- Electronic books.
- "This thought-provoking Research Handbook provides a comprehensive overview of current research on natural law theory in ethics, politics and law, demonstrating the rigour and versatility of the tradition and offering an up-to-date picture of these ideas in the 21st century. Featuring contributions from leading international scholars in disciplines from law and government to philosophy and religious studies, the Handbook explores both the philosophical foundations of natural law thinking and its practical implications for law, politics and governance. Chapters showcase the breadth and diversity of contemporary natural law thought, going beyond the dominant Catholic and Thomist perspectives to investigate natural law ideas in a variety of religious and cultural traditions, such as Judaism, Islam and Confucianism, as well as African American and feminist theory. The Research Handbook on Natural Law Theory will prove an invaluable resource for scholars and students of law, legal theory, philosophy, politics and government, as well as theology and religious studies, who wish to engage with current thinking on natural law and its relevance to their fields. Legal practitioners and experts in public policy will also find its varied perspectives useful"-- Provided by publisher.
- Preface contributors
1. The natural law outlook / Jonathan Crowe and Constance Youngwon Lee
Part I: Western foundations
2. Aristotle as natural law theorist / George Duke
3. Stoic natural law as right reason / Anna Taitslin
4. St. Augustine on natural law / Richard Dougherty
5. God, Aquinas and natural law theory: the question of natural kinds / Anthony J. Lisska
6. John Calvin's natural law theory constance / Youngwon Lee
7. Some modern conceptions of natural law / Terence Irwin
Part II: Texts and traditions
8. Natural law in Judaism / Jonathan A. Jacobs
9. Natural law in Islam from theological and legal perspectives / Nadirsyah Hosen
10. Natural law in Confucianism / Norman P. Ho
11. Natural law and biblical law / Jonathan Burnside
12. Natural law and reformed theology / David VanDrunen
13. Black natural law / Vincent Lloyd
14. Luce Irigaray on women and natural law / Catherine Carol
Part III: Normative concepts / 15. Incommensurable goods / Gary Chartier and Jere L. Fox
16. Virtue and natural law / Amalia Amaya
17. Natural law and imagination / Yannick Imbert
18. Intelligibility, practical reason and the common good / Jonathan Crowe
19. Natural law and natural justice: A Thomistic perspective / Tim Murphy
20. Natural law and physics: the state of nature / Michael Detmold
Part IV: Law and governance
21. Natural law, the common good and the state / Gary Chartier and Jere L. Fox
22. Natural law and federalism / Nicholas Aroney
23. The principle of subsidiarity / Augusto Zimmermann
24. Natural law and constitutional reasoning / Eoin Carolan
25. The nature of law / Jonathan Crowe
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Crowe, Jonathan, 1979-, editor.
Lee, Constance Youngwon, editor.
Edward Elgar Publishing, publisher.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|