The post-pandemic liberal arts college : a manifesto for reinvention / Steven Volk, Beth Benedix.
- First edition.
- Cleveland, OH : Belt Publishing, 2020.
158 pages : illustration ; 19 cm
- Education, Humanistic -- United States.
Education, Higher -- Aims and objectives -- United States.
Small colleges -- United States.
Private universities and colleges -- United States.
Education, Higher -- Aims and objectives.
Private universities and colleges.
- "Private liberal arts colleges have been struggling for decades; now, as the COVID-19 pandemic widens cracks latent in many American institutions, they are facing a possibly mortal crisis. Steven Volk and Beth Benedix call for small colleges to seize this moment and reinvent themselves. With the rise of rankings that set peer institutions against each other, tuition that outpaces income, creeping pre-professionalism, and a race to build student 'customers' the splashiest new amenities, many private liberal arts colleges have strayed from their founders' missions. If they could shed the mantle of exclusivity, reduce costs, facilitate true social mobility, and collaborate with each other, the authors argue, they might both survive and again become just, equitable, accessible institutions able to offer the transformative and visionary education that is their hallmark"--Back cover.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 146-156).
- Hawkins Benedix, Beth, 1971- author.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|