Sonic boom : the impossible rise of Warner Bros. Records, from Hendrix to Fleetwood Mac to Madonna to Prince / Peter Ames Carlin.
- First edition.
- New York, New York : Henry Holt and Company, 2021.
xii, 273 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Warner Bros. Records -- History.
Sound recording industry -- History.
Warner Bros. Records.
Sound recording industry.
- "From journalist Peter Ames Carlin-the New York Times bestselling music biographer who chronicled the lives and careers of Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, the Beach Boys, and Paul Simon-Sonic Boom captures the rollicking story of the most successful record label in the history of rock and roll, Warner Bros Records, and the remarkable secret to its meteoric rise"-- Provided by publisher.
The roster of Warner Brothers Records and its subsidiary labels reads like the roster of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but the most compelling figures in the Warner Bros. story are the sagacious Mo Ostin and the unlikely crew of hippies, eccentrics, and enlightened execs who were the first in the music business to read the generational writing on the wall in the mid-1960s. By recruiting outsider artists and allowing them to make the music they wanted, Ostin and his staff transformed an out-of-touch company into the voice of a generation-- and revolutionized the music industry. Carlin shows how Warner Bros Records conquered the music business by focusing on the music rather than the business. -- adapted from jacket
- Machine generated contents note: 1. Song Cycle
2. Welcome to the Chalet
3. Warner Bros. Records: Terribly Sophisticated Songs
4. Reprise Records: Newer, Happier, Emancipated
5. Warner/Reprise: A Quite Unlosable Game
6. Christmas and New Year's and Your Birthday all Together
7. Once You Get Used to it, His Voice is Really Something
8. How Can We Break the Rules Today?
9. The Gold Dust Twins
10. The Rock Morality
11. It Ain't Nothin' But A Warner Bros. Party
12. Fuck the Bunny
13. The Name of the Game is Performance
14. Just Go Do
15. Coming for the Cowboys
16. Losing My Religion.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Carlin, Peter Ames, Sonic boom
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|