The Sociolinguistics of Place and Belonging / edited by Leonie Cornips, Vincent A. de Rooij.
- Amsterdam, [Netherlands] ; Philadelphia, [Pennsylvania] : John Benjamins Publishing Company, 2018.
- Conference Name:
- Sociolinguistics Symposium (20th : 2014 : Jyväskylä, Finland)
- Impact, studies in language and society.
IMPACT: Studies in Language and Society, 1385-7908
1 online resource (299 pages) : illustrations.
- Sociolinguistics -- Congresses.
Place (Philosophy) -- Congresses.
Belonging (Social psychology) -- Congresses.
Group identity -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- Introduction: belonging through linguistic place-making in center-periphery constellations / Leonie Cornips and Vincent A. De Rooij
Interpersonal relations, place, and belonging. The boundaries of belonging: a commentary / Jürgen Jaspers
Language socialization and making sense of place / Bambi B. Schieffelin
Cité duits: a polyethnic miners' variety / Peter Auer and Leonie Cornips
Us, them and all the others: analyzing belonging among Japanese immigrant women in the Netherlands / Anna Banas
Parodic performances from the margins. Playing against peripheralization: a commentary / Kathryn A. Woolard
The politics of place-making and belonging through language choice within centre-periphery dynamics in Limburg, the Netherlands / Lotte Thissen
Peripheral performances: the language cultural practices of Dutch-Limburgian world star André Rieu / Irene Stengs
What's up in town: place-making through the use of dialect in a Facebook chronicle of Leskovac (Southeast Serbia) / Tanja Petrovic
Agency in linguistic place-making. Language, place, agency: a commentary / Barbara Johnstone
Place-making and dialect: a real time panel study from Danish dialect areas / Malene Monka
Alternative place naming in the diverse margins of an ideologically mono-lingual society / Pia Quist
Yooperisms in tourism: commodified enregistered features in Michigan's Upper Peninsula's linguistic landscape / Kathryn A. Remlinger.
- Based on papers prepared for workshops at the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies (NIAS) in 2011, Wassenaar, the Netherlands, and, the Sociolinguistics Symposium 20 in Jyväskylä, Finland, held Jun 15-18, 2014.
Includes bibliographical references at the end of each chapters and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Cornips, Leonie Elise Alexandra, editor.
Rooij, Vincent A. de, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|