Cold war triangle : how scientists in East and West tamed HIV / Renilde Loeckx.
- Other records:
- Leuven, Belgium : Lipsius Leuven, 2017.
1 online resource (1 PDF (186 pages) :) portraits
- AIDS (Disease) -- Research -- Political aspects.
HIV infections -- Research -- Political aspects.
- Electronic books.
- The extraordinary story of scientists in East and West combatting HIV. A small group of scientists were doggedly working in the field of antiviral treatments when the AIDS epidemic struck. Faced with one of the grand challenges of modern biology of the twentieth century, scientists worked across the political divide of the Cold War to produce a new class of antivirals. Their molecules were developed by a Californian start-up together with teams of scientists at the Rega Institute of KU Leuven and the Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry (IOCB) of the Academy of Sciences in Prague. These molecules became the cornerstone of the blockbuster drugs now used to combat and prevent HIV. Cold War Triangle gives an insight into the human face of science as it recounts the extraordinary story of scientists in East and West who overcame ideological barriers and worked together for the benefit of humanity.
I. Leuven : a hotbed for antiviral research
II. Behind the Iron Curtain
III. Strange bedfellows : a Czech chemist and a Flemish virologist
IV. The sixties in Leuven and Prague
V. Enzymes : the secret of life as chemistry
VI. From interferon to nucleosides
VII. Breaking away from interferon
VIII. The first antiviral drugs
IX. Aids emerges in the shadow of the Cold War
X. From passivity to action
XI. First attempts to halt the epidemic
XII. Finding the best therapy : the one-a-day-pill
Epilogue : of scientists and crusaders.
- Issued as part of book collections on Project MUSE.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (EBC, viewed December 20, 2017).
- Access Restriction:
- Access restricted to authorized users and institutions.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|