Survival and resistance in Evangelical America : Christian reconstruction in the Pacific Northwest / Crawford Gribben.
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 
xii, 210 pages : map ; 25 cm
- Evangelicalism -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
Evangelicalism -- United States -- History -- 21st century.
Migration, Internal -- United States.
Evangelistic work -- United States -- Forecasting.
United States -- Church history -- 20th century.
United States -- Church history -- 21st century.
- Church history.
- "Over the last thirty years, conservative evangelicals have been moving to the north-west of the United States in an effort to survive and resist the impact of secular modernity. Their activity coincides with the promotion by prominent survivalist authors of a programme of migration to the "American Redoubt," a region encompassing Idaho, Montana, eastern parts of Washington and Oregon, and Wyoming, as a location within which to endure hostile social change or natural disaster. These migration movements have independent origins, but they overlap in their influences and aspirations, working in tandem and sometimes in mutual dependence to offer a vision of the present in which Christian values must be defended, if necessary, by force, and a vision of the future in which American society will be rebuilt according to biblical law. Drawing on Calvinist theology, the social theory of Christian Reconstruction, and libertarian politics, these believers are projecting significant soft power, with their books being promoted by leading secular publishers and being listed as New York Times bestsellers. The strategy is gaining momentum, making an impact in local political and economic life, while being repackaged for a wider audience in publications by a broader coalition of conservative commentators and in American mass culture. These believers recognise that they have lost the culture war - but another kind of conflict is beginning. This book examines the origins, evolution, and cultural reach of the migration that might tell us most about the future of American evangelicalism"-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Gribben, Crawford, Survival and resistance in Evangelical America
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|