Band of angels : the forgotten world of early Christian women / Kate Cooper.
- Other Title:
- Band of Angels
- New York : Atlantic Books Ltd, 2013.
1 online resource (522 p.)
- Women in Christianity -- History -- Early church, ca. 30-600.
- Electronic books.
- In Band of Angels, Kate Cooper tells the surprising story of early Christianity from the woman's point of view. Though they are often forgotten, women from all walks of life played an invaluable role in Christianity's growth to become a world religion. Peasants, empresses, and independent businesswomen contributed what they could to an emotional revolution unlike anything the ancient world had ever seen. By mobilizing friends and family to spread the word from household to household, they created a wave of change not unlike modern 'viral' marketing. For the most part, women in the a
- Cover; Title page; Copyright page; Dedication page; Contents; Preface; 1 Looking for Chloe; 2 The Gospel of Love; 3 The Galilean Women; 4 'The God of Thecla'; 5 A Martyr in the Family; 6 The Emperor's Mother; 7 'The Life of Angels'; 8 A World Apart; 9 The Desert Mothers; 10 The Queen of Heaven; Epilogue; A Note on Translation; Notes; Bibliography; Index; Acknowledgements; A Note on the Author
- Description based upon print version of record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|