The children's train : a novel / Viola Ardone ; translated from the Italian by Clarissa Botsford.
- Standardized Title:
- Treno dei bambini. English
- First edition.
- New York, NY : HarperVia, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, 
295 pages ; 24 cm
- Children -- Italy -- Fiction.
Families -- Italy -- Fiction.
Italy -- History -- 1945-1976 -- Fiction.
- General fiction.
Italian fiction -- Translations into English.
- "Based on true events, a heartbreaking story of love, family, hope, and survival set in post-World War II Italy-written with the heart of Orphan Train and Before We Were Yours-about poor children from the south sent to live with families in the north to survive deprivation and the harsh winters. Though Mussolini and the fascists have been defeated, the war has devastated Italy, especially the south. Seven-year-old Amerigo lives with his mother Antonietta in Naples, surviving on odd jobs and his wits like the rest of the poor in his neighborhood. But one day, Amerigo learns that a train will take him away from the rubble-strewn streets of the city to spend the winter with a family in the north, where he will be safe and have warm clothes and food to eat. Together with thousands of other southern children, Amerigo will cross the entire peninsula to a new life. Through his curious, innocent eyes, we see a nation rising from the ashes of war, reborn. As he comes to enjoy his new surroundings and the possibilities for a better future, Amerigo will make the heartbreaking choice to leave his mother and become a member of his adoptive family. Amerigo's journey is a moving story of memory, indelible bonds, artistry, and self-exploration, and a soaring examination of what family can truly mean. Ultimately Amerigo comes to understand that sometimes we must give up everything, even a mother's love, to find our destiny"-- Provided by publisher.
- Originally published as Il treno dei bambini in Italy in 2019 by Einaudi.
- Botsford, Clarissa, translator.
- Other format:
- Online version: Ardone, Viola, 1974- Children's train.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|