Contending forces, a romance illustrative of Negro life north and south / by Pauline E. Hopkins. With illustrations and cover design by R. Emmett Owen.
- Other records:
- [First Mnemosyne reprinting]
- Miami, Florida, Mnemosyne Publishing Co., Inc., .
- Boston, Mass. : The Colored Co-operative Publishing Co.,
402 pages,  leaves of plates illustrations 23 cm.
- African Americans -- Fiction.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Florida Miami.
United States Massachusetts Boston.
- A retrospect of the past
The days "Before the War"
"Coming events cast their shadows before"
Ma Smith's lodging-house
Ma Smith's lodging-house-Concluded
"Love took up the harp of life"
A colored politician
The American Colored League
Luke Sawyer speaks to the league
Will Smith's defense of his race
John Langley consults Madam Frances
The Canterbury Club dinner
What Easter Sunday brought
The bitter arrow
After many days
"So He bringeth them into their desired haven".
- First Mnemosyne reprinting 1969 from a copy in the Fisk University Library Negro Collection.
Originally published by The Colored Co-operative Publishing Co., Boston, Mass., 1900.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Owen, Robert Emmett, 1878-1957, illustrator.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|