The royal English dictionary, or, A treasury of the English language. ... : the whole on so extensive a plan, as to unite the different excellencies of all other English dictionaries : to which is prefixed, a comprehensive grammar of the English tongue / by D. Fenning ...
- Other Title:
- Royal English dictionary.
Treasury of the English language.
- The second edition improved.
- London : Printed for R. Baldwin, J. Richardson, S. Crowder, B. Collins, J. Coote, and J. Wilson and J. Fell, 1763.
viii, 16,  p. ; 22 cm. (8vo)
- English language -- Dictionaries
- (from t.p.) I. A full explanation of all the terms made use of in algebra ... surveying, &c.
II. Tracing the words from their original fountains
III. Explaining the various senses in which they are used, supported by authorities from the best English writers
IV. Accents are properly placed, to facilitate the true pronunciation
V. Each word is followed by an initial letter, to denote the part of speech to which it belongs
VI. A geographical account of the principal kingdoms, cities &c. of the world
VII. A description of the cities and counties of England and Wales
VIII. The lives of the most eminent poets and other ingenious and illustrious men, who have flourished in these kingdoms.
- Signatures: [a]⁴ b-c⁴ B-3N⁴ A⁴ 2B-3N⁴ 3O-3S⁴.
- Local notes:
- First four leaves mutilated.
- Penn Provenance:
- Carpenter, J. (?) (autograph, 1780)
Carpenter, James S., M.D. (stamp)
- Penn Chronology:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|