Francis Bacon : the temper of a man / Catherine Drinker Bowen.
- 1st edition
- Boston : Little, Brown, ©1963.
- Atlantic Monthly Press book
245 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations, portraits ; 22 cm.
- Bacon, Francis, 1561-1626.
Great Britain -- History -- Elizabeth, 1558-1603 -- Biography.
Great Britain -- History -- James I, 1603-1625 -- Biography.
Philosophers -- Great Britain -- Biography.
Scientists -- Great Britain -- Biography.
Statesmen -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Massachusetts Boston.
- In the fullness of his power and reputation as Lord Chancellor of England, Bacon was impeached by parliament for taking bribes in office, convicted and banished from London and the law courts, At the depth of his fall, at the lowest reach of public disgrace and private agony, Bacon wrote a prayer, confessing to God that he had not used his talents to best advantage.
- Lord Bacon's reputation
An Elizabethan eden 1561-1579
The struggle to rise 1579-1613
Bacon ascending a time of glory 1613-1620
A noble five years 1621-1626.
- Includes index.
- Local notes:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection copies 1 & 2 have dustjacket retained.
Gotham Book Mart Collection copy 2 has pamphlet "A Report by Clifton Fadiman Reprinted from the Book-of-the-Month Club News" laid in at front.
Penn Libraries Lee Collection copy has inscription: "For Charles Lee, and it's fun talking to you with or without a muse --- Kitty B. C.D.B. June 1963
Penn Libraries Lee Collection copy has dust jacket. A memorial of Bowen from the Inquirer April 20, 1975, a typed sheet with questions, and a handwritten sheet with notes on the book, laid in
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copies 1 & 2)
Lee, Ruth Sara (donor) (Lee Collection copy)
Lee, Charles, 1913- (autograph, 1963) inscription) (Lee Collection copy)
Bowen, Catherine Drinker, 1897-1973 (autograph, June 1963) (Lee Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Charles Lee Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Online version: Bowen, Catherine Drinker, 1897-1973. Francis Bacon.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|