Myth and mythmaking. Edited and with an introduction by Henry A. Murray.
- New York, George Braziller, 1960.
381,  pages 22 cm.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- The historical development of mythology / Joseph Campbell
Recurrent themes in myths and mythmaking / Clyde Kluckhohn
The yearning for paradise in primitive tradition / Mircea Eliade
Theory of myth and the folklorist / Richard M. Dorson
Stars and stories / Phyllis Ackerman
Some meanings of myth / Harry Levin
New directions from old / Northrop Frye
An examination of the myth and ritual approach to Shakespeare / Herbert Weisinger
The working novelist and the mythmaking process / Andrew Lytle
World interpretation and self-interpretation: some basic patterns / Ernst Topitsch
The three Romes: the migration of an ideology and the making of an autocrat / Robert Lee Wolff
The myth of Nazism / Henry Hatfield
The world impact of the West: the mystique and the sense of participation in history / John T. Marcus
A modern mythmaker / Philip Rieff
Myth and identity / Jerome S. Bruner
Myth and mass media / Marshall McLuhan
The possible nature of a "mythology" in come / Henry A. Murray
Appendix: "The necessity of myth" / Mark Schorer; "Reflections on violence" / Georges Sorel; "Doctor Faustus" / Thomas Mann; "Freud and the future" / Thomas Mann.
- Many essays "were originally published in Daedalus, the Journal of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, in the issue devoted to 'Myth and Mythmaking' (Vol. 88, no. 2). The issue was guest-edited by Henry A. Murray".
- Local notes:
- Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
Potok Collection copy has autograph of "Herman Potok August 1960 Philadelphia".
- Penn Provenance:
- Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
Potok, Chaim (autograph) (Potok Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|