This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Vick, Julia Miller.
- 4th ed.
- Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, c2008.
viii, 287 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- College teachers -- Employment -- United States -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
College teachers -- Selection and appointment -- United States -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- What you should know before you start
The structure of academic careers
Hiring from the institution's point of view
Planning and timing your search
Becoming a job candidate: the timetable for your search
Deciding where and when to apply
The importance of advisors and professional networks
Conference presentations and networking
Letters of recommendation
Learning about openings
Written materials for the search: suggestions and samples
Responding to position announcements
Additional application materials
Job hunting correspondence
Conducting the search
Off-site interviews: conference/convention and telephone interviews
Job offers, negotiations, acceptances, and rejections
After you take the job
Starting the job
Knowing about and getting tenure
Dual career couples, pregnant on the job market, and related concerns
International scholars, older candidates, gaps in your vita
Thinking about the expanded job market.
- Rev. ed. of: The academic job search handbook / Mary Morris Heiberger and Julia Miller Vick. 3rd ed. 2001.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -284) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the James Hosmer Penniman Book Fund.
- Furlong, Jennifer S.
Heiberger, Mary Morris.
James Hosmer Penniman Book Fund.
- Related Work:
- Heiberger, Mary Morris. Academic job search handbook.
- 9780812220162 (alk. paper)
0812220161 (alk. paper)
- Web link:
- The James Hosmer Penniman Book Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order