This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- United States. Continental Congress.
4 leaves : paper ; 315 x 190 mm.
- Public lands -- United States -- Early works to 1800.
- Resolutions (administrative records)
Manuscripts, American -- 18th century.
- Copy in the hand of Alexander Hamilton of two resolutions and an ordinance of the Continental Congress in 1787 and 1788 concerning public lands.
- In Congress, April 21, 1787: Resolved, that after the Secretary at War shall have drawn for the proportionate quantity of
the lands already surveyed which were assigned to the late army ... (f. 1r)
In Congress, October 22, 1787: Resolved, that a million of acres of land, to be bounded east by the seventh range of townships ... (f. 1v)
In Congress, July 9, 1788: A supplement to an ordinance entitled "An ordinance for ascertaining the mode of disposing of lands in the Western Territory" (f. 1v-4r).
- The 45th document in a collection of 50 18th-century documents, most by Alexander Hamilton and a few by Thomas Jefferson, Henry Knox, and others, bound in 2 volumes (13 in the first volume and 37 in the second, including 2 manuscripts).
- Written by Alexander Hamilton and bound with other reports, mostly printed, in the second of 2 volumes formerly owned by Hamilton (manuscript contents list of volume 1 in his hand on last blank leaf of volume) and then possibly by Henry Kuhl, who served under Hamilton as Chief Clerk in the Comptroller's Office (Kuhl signature on first report in the first volume).
- Cited in:
- Described in Clapp, C.B. "Alexander Hamilton's reports." In The University of Pennsylvania library chronicle v. 9, no. 2 (June 1941), p. 52-64 (v. 2, no. 28).
- Publications about:
- These resolutions of Congress are published in the Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789 (Washington: GPO, 1904-1937). April 21, 1787 at volume 32, p. 226; October 22, 1787 at volume 33, p. 695; July 9, 1788 at volume 34, p. 306.
- Hamilton, Alexander, 1757-1804, scribe, former owner.
Kuhl, Henry, 1764-1856, former owner.
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order